Food pairing with our teas is something that excites me. It's like finding a good wine to a meal. You can complement the flavours in an exciting way and make a regular meal to something more fun and unique. Lates recipe is this gorgeous vegetarian lentil curry I got inspired by Vegansk Matlåda, I changed a few bits due to (personal issues following recipes).
Our Rooibos Wednesday tea works so amazingly well together with this curry, it is a pallet cleanser yet it brings out a roundness to all the lovely spices making this dish to such a wonderful meal.
Make sure to cold brew your Wednesday tea well in advance (at least 4 hours before serving) and brew it a bit stronger. The good thing with Rooibos tea is that the leaves don't contain as much tannin as tea leaves coming from Camellia sinensis trees so it's hard to get rooibos tea bitter, the same way green and black te goes.
Recipe - Vegetarian lentil curry
1 large yellow onion2 garlic cloves4 tablespoons tomato puree2 tablespoons fresh chopped ginger5 dl water2 dl red lenses1 vegetable stock2 cans of coconut milk6 small potatoes1-2 large carrots4 tbsp garam masala1 teaspoon turmeric1 tsp chili flakes1 teaspoon cinnamon1 teaspoon cayenne pepper1 tbsp paprika powder2 teaspoons agave syrup or sugarSalt, black pepper
- Chop ginger, onion and garlic and fry gently in a pan together with the garam masala spices and oil.
- Add lentils, water and vegetable stock, simmer for about 7 minutes until the lenses soften add the tomato puree and 1 can of coconut milk.
- Mix it with a hand blender until the mixture is smooth like a creamy sauce.
- Add the other coconut milk and the rest of the spices + sugar, salt and pepper. Stir in medium heat and let it be for a while.
- Peel and cut the potatoes and carrots into pieces about 2 x 2 cm, add them into the curry and let them cook on a low-medium heat for approx. 30 min.
Serve with creme fresh, black sesame seeds, pickled onion and naan bread! Don't forget your Cold brewed Wednesday tea.
Thank you Vegansk Matlåda for inspiring and awesome recipes!!